This extraordinary stoneware platter was made by Frances Simches in 1971. Ms. Simches was on the faculty of the Greenwich House Pottery in NYC from apx. 1949 to apx. 1953, studying at night at New York University. Upon receiving her Master's Degree in Ceramics and Education from New York University, she became an instructor there from 1951-1954. She pursued postgraduate work at the State University of New York at Alfred until 1965. She also taught at State University of New York at Albany. This platter was deaccessioned from the collection of the Greenwich House Pottery in 2008.